So you’re the lucky recipient of a traffic ticket for speeding, running a red light, or some other traffic violation in Fort Lauderdale. Now what? Well, as explained in the video above, the worst thing you can do is pay your ticket outright. If you pay the ticket, you are admitting that you are guilty of the violation and will have to pay the full amount of the fine; further, if the ticket was for a moving violation, points will be assessed on your driver’s license. If you accumulate enough points on your license within a designated period of time, your driver’s license can be suspended or revoked. In addition, when your car insurance company sees that points have been assessed on your license, your monthly premiums are likely to increase and your policy could even be cancelled.
Instead of paying the ticket outright, if you want to avoid points on your license, the best thing you can do after receiving a traffic ticket is to immediately contact a Fort Lauderdale ticket defense attorney. At the South Florida law firm of Galanter Law, we have experienced and knowledgeable Fort Lauderdale ticket attorneys who will:
- Use their intimate knowledge of Florida statutes, relevant case law, and local traffic court procedures to provide you with expert analysis of your specific case;
- Provide case management services such as scheduling hearings and court dates for your case;
- Whenever possible, appear in court on your behalf so that you don’t have to take time off work or school to attend hearings and court appearances;
- Utilize their relationships with local traffic court judges, prosecutors, and other traffic court personnel to negotiate a favorable outcome on your behalf; and
- Ensure that you get the best possible outcome for your ticket by attempting to have your ticket dismissed by the traffic court judge. When dismissal is not possible, they will try to negotiate a resolution to a reduced charge with a reduced fine or try to negotiate a deal for you to pay a fine and get a withhold of adjudication. With a withhold of adjudication, no points will be assessed on your license and the charge will not show up on your permanent record.
If you think hiring a traffic ticket attorney is prohibitively expensive, think again. You can typically hire a traffic ticket attorney for less than a hundred dollars. In fact, hiring a traffic ticket attorney instead of paying your ticket outright is likely to save you money in the long run since your attorney’s fees will typically be significantly less than cost of having to pay the full fine for your traffic citation and increased car insurance premiums due to the assessment of points on your license.
So remember, if you receive a traffic ticket, do not pay it. For your best shot at getting your ticket dismissed or your charges reduced and keeping points off your license, hire an experienced Fort Lauderdale traffic ticket lawyer such as Yale L. Galanter or one of his trusted associates at Galanter Law to represent you in traffic court.