Miami, Florida law enforcement takes domestic violence charges very seriously. Without the services of experienced domestic abuse attorneys it is going to be more then difficult to fight domestic violence charges. A skilled domestic abuse attorney may be able to help an individual avoid a conviction, have their charges reduced, or dropped completely.
- How do domestic abuse attorneys work with prosecution?
- What are possible penalties for domestic violence?
- How will a domestic abuse attorney help try to have your charges reduced or dismissed?
In Miami, Florida the sooner that domestic abuse attorneys get involved in domestic violence charges the better off the defendant will be. In many cases once a domestic abuse attorney gets involved the court realizes that the charges are not appropriate to be categorized under domestic violence. The definition of domestic violence is an assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, stalking, kidnapping or any other criminal offense that brings physical injury or death to a family member or someone who is living underneath the same roof as the individual being charged with domestic violence.
With the services of a domestic abuse attorney it may be possible to convince the prosecution to refrain from pressing charges. Domestic abuse attorneys can help answer the following:
- Were there injuries incurred at the time the charges were pressed?
- Does the defendant have a past criminal record? (this can prove to be monumental evidence that can get charges dropped)
- Have law enforcement ever been called to the place of residency in the past?
- What were the reasons for law enforcement being called to the scene in the first place?
Domestic violence charges are very serious allegations. Without the help and experience of domestic abuse attorneys the following are very real penalties that can take effect immediately:
- Not being allowed to be around your family or children
- Mandated to go to counseling/therapy
- Being sentenced to time behind bars
A domestic abuse attorney will take the following actions in order to build a defense for their clients simple and aggravated assault or simple and aggravated battery case:
- Research all the evidence that is available as well as look for evidence that was not initially present in the case
- Interview the alleged victim
- Find out whether or not self-defense was involved
- Investigate alternative penalties handed down by the court of law if in fact their client was found guilty
- Build the best possible defense for their client with the amount of evidence they have (every domestic violence case is unique and needs a defense that caters to the facts and evidence of that specific case)
When a person is charged with domestic violence the first course of action by law enforcement in Miami, Florida is to place restraining orders against the accused. Once a temporary restraining order is put in place the individual being charged with the crime will not be allowed to have any contact or come within a certain distance of the alleged victim. A domestic abuse attorney will be able to act as a mediator between you and the alleged victim.
Hesitating to get the services of a domestic abuse lawyer in Miami, Florida is a mistake that will likely haunt an individual for years to come. Domestic abuse is a serious crime that is going to need a serious defense team to put together the necessary defense strategy. Without a quality defense put together by domestic abuse attorneys the penalties of jail time and very steep fines are going to be a strong possibility.